Saturday, October 5, 2013

Retreat Reflection



Retreat Reflection

3 Things I Learned...

  • I learned as a group we tend to be very aggressive when approaching task. This means our movements can cause a large ripple effect, which can be good or bad.
  • I also learned that their are generally two types of people, the people who think as they talk and then the people who think then talk. 
  • A third thing I learned was our group had both types of people, we have people who throw out the ideas and then we also have the people who critic the ideas. 

My favorite part of the retreat was the team building activities we did.  I really like them because they all had an underlying message. For instance, the one of  messages of the river activity was that every job matters, no matter how small it seems. Another reason I really liked the team building activities was the fact that throughout the different activities you could see the strengths of each of the member shine through. A thing I learned through these activities were some of the strengths of the different members, which will come in handy as we plan our community service activity and participate in different activities together.

I took the strength finder test and found out my top strength is Responsibility. The test said "people who are especially talented in the Responsibility theme take psychological ownership of what they say they will do.  They are committed to stable values such as honesty and loyalty." Which I find accurate when comparing it to me.  My biggest area of improvement would probably be communication, because I'm an introvert. Which means I tend to be a quieter person, which can hinder my communication skills.


3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to thank you Alyssa for trusting me with the task of leading you blindly during the retreat. I know it took a lot to just literally blindly follow my commands and it was a bit rocky at first but I loved the experience! & I am so excited to take the strengths quest, responsibility is an awesome strength and can be useful in many facets in college and the future(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed the team building activities. You were very good at making sure we all watched our toes which definitely fits with responsibility, a big part of which is attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just added a special post on my blog for you and your toe-watching talents. ;)
    But I agree, we identified both strengths and weaknesses over the retreat, but I'm excited to be a part of such a powerful group that looks to overcome and remedy its weaknesses. We're gonna be awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete