Friday, October 4, 2013

September 27th Cohort Meeting

September 27th Cohort Meeting


Name: Why Does Leadership Matter?  Relational and Servant Leadership

3 things I learned:

  • I learned who my mentor is, and started to get to know them better.
  • Another thing I learned was the five components which make up the relational leadership theory, which includes purposeful, inclusive, empowering, ethical, and process-oriented.
  • I also learned that our group has lost several members, we started with eleven and we are now down to six.

The trait that I connect with the most is 'listening'.  The reason I feel like I connect with this most is because, I believe everyone has a voice.  Sometimes people may not feel like they have a voice, because all they hear is everyone else's voice.  With this in mind, I believe it is the leaders responsibility to make sure everyone feels like they have a voice.  A leader that I see possessing servant leadership qualities is Gandhi. After meeting my peer mentor I'm excited to get to know them better and become good friends with them. :)

The thing I was looking most forward to about the retreat was getting to know the other members a lot better, which entailed learned about their lives.


2 comments:

  1. I agree listening and making sure every member of a group has a voice is a very important responsibility of a leader. It is probably the quality I need to work most on in my own leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa, I think you are a great listener and that it is really important to the overall group collaboration process. Being a great listener can also be related back to discovering both you and I like to think and listen before we present ideas as well! (:

    ReplyDelete